“A Heart so White”
What was once beyond the gate to the village is now at its center, at its heart: From Piazza Rottenburg in Caldaro and below Castel Sallegg there is a gateway to the historic Leisenpuiten. A gently ascending path leads up between the vines to the Leisenhof, Caldaro’s second enclosed vineyard. With Monte Roen for a backcloth and Lake Caldaro for the view, the Leisenpuiten breathes the Caldaro terroir to the full.
Surrounded by a wall as protection for the vines within and without, and by houses and residences, Leisenpuiten is the premium site for our white wines. The word “puite” means “enclosed garden”, and ours was formerly owned by the Leiss family of Caldaro, dating back to the 15th century. In 1892, Maria Raineria, Princess of Campofranco, née Countess Waideck, was listed as the first ancestor of the Counts of Kuenburg to own the Leisenhof.
At 500 meters above sea level and 100 meters above the lake, Sauvignon, Chardonnay and Gewürztraminer vines thrive on the deep, humus-rich, loamy soils on calcareous gravel. The evening shade of the Mendel Mountains brings refreshing cool and relaxing nights after long warm days of sunshine. The result is a crisp freshness and an acidity in the wines that is typical of the site. The Leisenhof is also the location of our wine trail.